The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) election is an election of members who govern Greater Mumbai. The BMC is Asia’s largest municipal corporation and elections for its members are scheduled to be held in April 2022. The current tenure of the sitting corporators came to an end in February 2022, and on March 8th, current municipal commissioner Iqbal Chahal was appointed as administrator of the city, in the backdrop of delayed civic polls.
A study conducted by the non-profit organisation Praja has revealed that 90% of Mumbai’s corporators have performed poorly based on criteria set by the organisation, with only two corporators scoring “A”. The mayor, as a part of the BMC, is the city’s first citizen and is responsible for the general welfare of Mumbai. The mayor has two distinct roles, representing and upholding the dignity of the city and presiding over deliberations of the civic house of elected representatives.
Ahead of Mumbai’s 2022 BMC elections, Citizen Matters, Reap Benefit, a platform to enable active citizens, and Kuviraa, an organisation building political leadership and engagement among young girls, are organising a contest titled “If I Were the Mayor of Mumbai” to engage young people in local governance. Youth form 60% of India’s population, and it is essential to provide spaces for their voices to be heard.
It is the need of the hour to involve young citizens to take ownership of their area and to demand and solve problems. This is an opportunity to enhance their curiosity, for them to stand up for issues in their areas, and spring into action! We invite young people (students of grades 9 to 12 OR those in the age group 14 – 19) residing in Mumbai to submit entries under the following two categories in Hindi, English or Marathi:
- Video: A two – three minute video
- Written submission: Essay (250-300 words)
3 best entries in each language will win Rs. 1000 each in each category. Young citizens with the best entries will have the opportunity to interact with special guests from Mumbai at the end of the campaign, and ask questions/share troubles regarding issues within their locality.
- Contestants must be residents of Mumbai, between grades 9-12 or between the ages of 14 to 19.
- Individual contestants only. Only one entry per category per contestant.
- Entries should be the original work of the participants and in English, Hindi or Marathi.
- Entries should be sent to the Whatsapp number 80955-00118 . Type in “ifiwerethemayor” and a chatbot will guide you through the submission.
- The last date to submit entries is April 15, 2022. (updated since first announcement)