Rahul Ramesh Shewale is with the Shiv Sena Party and is the incumbent Member of Parliament from Mumbai South Central constituency. He defeated the sitting MP Eknath Gaikwad from the Congress in the 2014 lok Sabha polls, with a margin of 1,38,180 votes. While Shewale secured 381008 votes Gaikwad got 242828 votes.
The stage this time is set for yet another battle between Shewale and Gaikwad, and 28 other contestants from the South Central Constituency.
First-time MP in 2014, Rahul had been Chairman of the standing committee of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) for four terms till 2014. He is an active parliamentarian, as his reports on attendance, number of questions asked and debates far exceed both the state and national averages.
- Age– 46
- Party– Shiv Sena
- Profession – Civil contractor, Consultant
- Education Qualification – Diploma Course (Civil Engineering) at Government Polytechnic of India, Mumbai
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact No- 022-2558224, 9869029537, 07718023277
- Address– Shivtirth, 10B/12, B.A.R.C, New Mandala Colony, Opp Gate no 6, Sion – Trombay Road, Mumbai – 400088, Maharashtra.
- Facebook– @RRShewale
- Twitter– @shewale_rahul
Source- myneta.info, LokSabha
Assets and Liabilities
|Movable||1,21,04,397||1,01,37,047(self) + 21,44,316(spouse)|
All figures in INR. Source: ECI, myneta.info
Pending Criminal Cases: Nil
- 2010 – 2014: Chairman, Standing Committee, Mumbai Municipal Corporation.
- May 2014: Elected to 16th Lok Sabha
- 1 Sep 2014 onwards: Member, Standing Committee on Urban Development and Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
- 27 April 2015 onwards: Member, Railway Convention Committee (R C C)
Source: Lok Sabha
MP in Parliament
Rahul Ramesh Shewale has fared well in the lower house, with an attendance higher than the state and national average. He has introduced eight private member’s bills during his tenure.
|MP||Attendance||No of Debates||No of questions asked||Private Member’s bill|
|Rahul Ramesh Shewale||94%||208||847||8|
|State (Maharashtra Average)||78%||68.6||607||4.8|
Source- PRS Legislative Research
Some of the debates that Rahul Ramesh Shewale has participated in relate to
- Need to take measures to provide benefits to consumers and cable operators in the country
- Regarding provision of sports physiotherapist in various sports associations
- Issue related to the leprosy patients unable to get Aadhaar card
- Need to promote tourism in Maharashtra
- Regarding encroachment on Railway land in Mumbai
- Need to relocate people residing in unsafe buildings in Mumbai
- Problems faced by milk producers in Maharashtra
- Demand to include more of Rabindranath Tagore works in textbooks
- Raising the issue of climate change in the country
- Need to shut down waste dumping ground at Deonar in South Central Mumbai Parliamentary Constituency
Rahul Ramesh Shewale’s 8 private members’ bills are pending in the Parliament, a few important ones being.
- The Human Trafficking (Prevention) Bill, 2017
- The Special Financial Assistance to Mumbai Bill, 2017
- The Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Amendment of article 15)
- The Wild Life Corridors Bill, 2016
- The Representation of the People (Amendment) Bill, 2015 (Amendment of section 30)
Rahul Ramesh Shewale had made recommendations worth Rs 8.03 crore, out of which none appears to have sanctioned, as per the log of the Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation website. It is also uncertain whether the information was not updated.
The MP had made recommendations for 140 projects regarding:
- Construction of public toilets
- Construction of footpaths and bus sheds
- Setting up public libraries and reading rooms
- Piped drinking water supply
- Public works for sports activities
|Recommended amount||Rs 8,03,88,013|
|Sanctioned amount||Zero (or not updated on website)|
|Utilisation amount||Zero (or not uploaded on website)|
Source: Ministry of Statistics and Program Implementation, GOI
MP in the news
In July 2017, a five-member Railway convention committee comprised of Rahul Ramesh Shewale (Mumbai South), Nana Falgunrao Patole (Bhandra Gondiya), K Ashok Kumar (Krishnagiri), Bhartruhari Mahtab (Cuttack) and Kamalbhan Singh Marabi (Chhattisgarh) ordered the completion of numerous railway projects in South Western Railway zone. The committee reportedly pulled up the officials of the railway zone for the slow completion of various projects.
In 2014, Rahul Ramesh Shewale was in the news when Shiv Sena party replaced him with Yashodhar Phanse as Standing Committee Chairman of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC). It may be noted Rahul held the position for four consecutive years. The standing committee is a crucial position that deals with financial matters of the civic body.
The Free Press Journal assessed the on-ground performance of Rahul Ramesh Shewale by speaking to a few locals from his constituency. Residents said that the MP was not seen on the ground, during the past five years. “He did not respond to our written grievances,” said Gaurang Vora, resident of Chembur.